Geary County Schools USD 475 is proud to be the first district in the state of Kansas to implement a pilot of the Military Child Education Coalition’s (MCEC) Purple Star School Program within its schools.
This program helps schools “respond to the educational and social-emotional challenges military-connected children face during their transition to a new school,” according to the MCEC’s website, preparing students for their next step in life, whether that be college, the workforce, or the next grade level.
Geary County Schools initiated the program within the district in the fall of 2020 and since has grown the program to each of its schools. Spring Valley Elementary is a proud Purple Star School.
Please check our Parent Resources tab for our Military Resources section.
Spring Valley supports a Military Kid Friendly Culture:
- Bi-Monthly Hearts Connected Groups (Voluntary group for children with a parent deployed.)
- Military Family Bulletin Board (Families are encouraged to send a picture of the military parent and child or family picture.)
- Month of the Military Child Celebrations (Students participate in an activity each April.)
Spring Valley supports a Military Parent Friendly Culture:
- Parent Information Packets (Counselor sends home an informational packet to each military family in August.)
- Weekly Informational Emails (Counselor sends a weekly email to the families that opted in to receive the information.)
The designated point of contact for Spring Valley Elementary is our counselor, Megan Hewitt. She can be reached at MeganHewitt@usd475.org.